Thursday, May 6, 2010

Frustration

This was supposed to be my week off. It's now Thursday and I am STILL working on lectures for next week. I am so frustrated.

Some of the notes I received from another instructor to "help" me prepare consist of nothing but case scenarios. The students are supposed to work these scenarios before they come to class, during which they discuss them with the instructor. My concern is this--when does the instructor actually teach anything? If the students do the scenarios at home and no information is given during class, why do the students need to come to class? Am I too set in my ways? Too old-fashioned? How do the students know what information out of over 100 pages is information on which to focus?

I don't think I'd have even known about this method of "teaching" if I hadn't been forced to teach content with which I am not familiar. That is the start of my frustration. I have taught all but 3 classes in this course. Why was it so important that this content be delivered on the only day I am free to teach? I have been agreeable for too long. Get ready. This woman is going to start saying no--just like everyone else.

This semester won't be over soon enough.


0 comments: