Friday, December 2, 2011

Professionally speaking . . .

          Several years ago when I was working in a hospital, I overheard a conversation between a nurse and a patient that I will never forget.  The patient asked a question that nurses hear hundreds of times during a week, "When will my doctor be here?"  Normally the exchange would not have made an impression on me.  Answers like, "Your doctor has office hours today and will be here when he's got a break in appointments or after he's through seeing patients" or "Your doctor was here earlier this morning" don't warrant a second thought.  However, hearing "Honey!  Your doctor's done been here and gone!" was  almost enough to knock me to the ground.

          I know I do not always speak with proper grammar, and I really don't care how a nurse speaks when he or she is with their friends or family.  But how can a nurse be viewed as a professional when they can't speak properly with patients or other healthcare professionals?  It's a question that I hear discussed at almost every nursing conference I attend.

          One student today asked me about don't and doesn't.  When I explained the difference, she then understood that to say "he do not" sounds stupid.  I heard her several times eliminating the contraction and using both words in her speech.  I have to give her credit for trying.  

          Trying to explain "seen" and "saw" is a tougher problem.  Unfortunately, my students have heard "I seen" all their lives and don't have a clue about how to correctly use the words.  Once I explain the difference and talk with them about how to change it, I expect them to use it correctly in their speech and written work.

          One of my students this semester told me that she is going to work hard on it because she knows that "I sound stupid and I don't want to sound that way."  However, the other student with the problem laughed at me and dismissed the suggestion.  Either way, I will continue to try to impact these students and help them speak like they have brains in their heads.

          By the way, the nurse who told her patient that her doctor had "done gone" was once an elementary school teacher.  Oh my!

0 comments: