Friday, July 24, 2009

Always learning

I learned a lot about myself this week.

1. I like rules and order
I am still a fairly new instructor and will make mistakes. When someone doesn't follow the rules, I get a little angry. Unfortunately, I HATE conflict. When I saw a nursing student who wasn't one of my students out of compliance with our uniform policy I saw . . . orange. What made this student think that wearing an orange shirt hanging out from her scrubs was an OK thing to do? She's small enough that her scrub tops don't ride up. This was a deliberate slap in the face of our program's policy. The nose stud she was wearing was not only an affront to our policy, but was also in violation of the hospital policy. So I said something to her. Granted she wasn't my student, but I am an authority figure in our little world. I then emailed our director with a complaint about the student and a question about the enforcement of the uniform policy. I then emailed her instructor regarding the student. This resulted in number two.

2. Don't feel guilty for doing the right thing.
I felt guilty about the way I handled the situation. Should I have tried to find the instructor? I had my own students who needed my help. Should I have butted out and let her handle her own student? Her email back to me which requested that I notify her first from now on so she can handle any problems with her students made me feel incredibly bad for her. Then I realized something very important. She had been with her students that morning. Why should I feel guilty because she didn't take care of the student that morning? Why am I required to notify her that she missed something so obvious? Is this an attempt to put some of her guilt on me? She's an adjunct, but she has taught for us before. I no longer feel guilty. I did the right thing.

3. I am strong.
We have had so many negative experiences since we moved to Michigan in 2004. They say that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. I am now off my antidepressants and dare anyone to kick me around any more. There is nothing anyone can do to me that will affect me anymore. I am the master of my destiny. I may still have ups and downs, but my attitude will definitely be in check.

4. Speak up for myself.
Whether it was my poor planning or someone else taking advantage, I ended up working a 12-hour exhausting day on Monday, including a 4-hour lecture that morning. This happened a week after being released from the hospital for a possible heart problem. I didn't realize that I was going to be working 12 hours until I looked over at the office and saw that it was dark. I was under the impression that I would be leaving the office much earlier. Everyone was gone. This category actually has sub categories:
  1. NEVER do that to another instructor when I am lead. An instructor should never have to teach for 4 hours in the morning and then teach open labs until 6:15 that evening. I was not a happy camper.
  2. NEVER agree to put in another day like that. I will be checking my calendar more frequently to insure that this doesn't happen to me again. I will speak up and say no.



0 comments: